What are precancerous lesions?
Precancerous lesions are abnormalities or identifiable local signs that can develop into cancer over time. Some causes of precancerous lesions are excessive smoking and alcohol consumption. Every precancerous lesion that sprouts in the mouth or your face may not develop into cancer, but having one may increase your risk for acquiring this condition.
Why is it important to know if you have precancerous lesions?
It is important that you are aware of any precancerous lesions in your body for you to be able to discover and implement ways to minimize the chances of them progressing into cancer. This will also alert Dr. Chacon to closely monitor your lesions and identify any progress.
How are precancerous lesions diagnosed?
Dr. Chacon recognizes precancerous lesions by assessing their appearance and behavior. For further assessment, he may perform skin tissue biopsy to ensure that cancer is not developing in the area. It is important that these lesion’s be identified to determine the treatment that is appropriate for you.
What should you expect from the treatment of precancerous lesions?
There are various treatments for precancerous lesions. No further treatment may be needed if the abnormal area has already been removed completely during biopsy. Cryosurgery is also an option. This involves the freezing of the precancerous area. Laser surgery is also available, which allows the destruction of the abnormal area without the risk of harming nearby healthy tissues.
Click here to request a consultation with Dr. Chacon at Divino Plastic Surgery today or call us at 858-633-7546.
- Dr. Chacon specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast, and body.
- Dr. Chacon completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training specializing in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dr. Chacon has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacon as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacon has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety, presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacon is a Continuing Medical Education Course Instructor in advanced surgical techniques.
- Dr. Chacon has coauthored and presented clinical studies on the Safety of Combined Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacon’s Professional Resume