Most people want a flat stomach, but maintaining a toned midsection can be difficult. Factors like genetics, aging, weight gain, or pregnancy can cause loose skin (sometimes called a muffin top) around the abdomen. At Divino Plastic Surgery, patients can restore firmness to their tummy with a procedure known as mini tummy tuck.
Mini tummy tuck is a modified, less invasive version of abdominoplasty. This procedure helps to create a smoother stomach by removing excess skin. It specifically targets skin on the lower portion of the belly, below the navel.
Understanding the Difference Between Full and Mini Tummy Tuck
The biggest difference between a traditional tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck is the area that is targeted. A full tummy tuck addresses the entire abdomen. It can remove additional loose skin and repair separate abdominal muscles for a firm abdominal wall. It also involves repositioning/recreating the belly button for a proportional appearance.
Mini tummy tuck concentrates on the skin and fat below the belly button. Hence, the patient’s natural belly button remains intact.
Benefits of Mini Tummy Tuck
- The ability to recontour the lower portion of the belly by removing a pooch.
- The removal of stretch marks beneath the belly button.
- The smaller horizontal incision is placed low enough that it is concealed by most underwear and swimsuits.
- With less downtime, mini tummy tuck patients can resume work and other normal activities sooner.
- Because it is a less invasive procedure, mini tummy tuck typically costs less than full tummy tuck.
Candidates for Mini Tummy Tuck
Although many patients are interested in mini tummy tuck because of its less invasive approach, it is only recommended for certain patients. The ideal candidate is someone with a smaller build and mild to moderate skin laxity concentrated on the lower portion of the stomach. This laxity is generally caused by aging or weight loss. It is not a good idea to perform a mini tummy tuck on a patient with loose skin or stretch marks above the belly button as the results will look uneven.
Most women who have been pregnant develop diastasis recti, a condition where the abdominal muscles shift out of place. Since mini tummy tuck cannot correct this problem, full tummy tuck is often the better option for women who want to firm up their abdominal wall.
Mini Tummy Tuck Results
Patients who undergo mini tummy tuck can get rid of the modest pooch that forms on the lower abdomen that is resistant to diet and exercise efforts. Mini tummy tuck results are considered indefinite. Many patients enjoy the benefits of their tummy tuck for the rest of their lives. However, factors such as weight gain and pregnancy may stretch the skin again, which can negatively impact the contours achieved with this procedure.
Choose Divino Plastic Surgery
The experts at Divino Plastic Surgery are experienced at performing mini tummy tuck and achieving natural-looking results for their patients. If you live in the San Diego region and would like to eliminate a stubborn pooch from your lower abdomen, you may be a great candidate for this procedure. To schedule a consultation, please call (858) 633-7546.
The DIVINO Difference
- Dr. Chacón specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast and body.
- Dr. Chacón completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacón served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic Surgery in Los Angeles.
- Dr. Chacón has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacón as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacón has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacón is a Continuing Medical Education course instructor in advanced surgical techniques
- Dr. Chacón has coauthored and presented clinical studies on safety of combined surgery
- Dr. Chacón’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacón’s Professional Resume