Nearly every woman has breast asymmetry, which is technically classified as a size discrepancy between the breasts. For some women, however, the degree of asymmetry can be more severe than others. For some, there may be at least one cup-size difference or more, making it impossible to find a bra that fits.
Breast asymmetry may also be very embarrassing. Many patients have shared their efforts to mask their asymmetry:
- Wearing oversized clothing to camouflage the size discrepancy
- Avoidance of situations that necessitate the wearing of bathing suits
- Feeling self-conscious and uncomfortable in intimate situations
Am I a Candidate for Breast Asymmetry Surgery?
Anyone with breast asymmetry can benefit from surgical correction; it is a congenital anomaly and the patient should understand that it is easily corrected. The degree of asymmetry does not matter; if it causes the patient psychological distress, she should consider correction.
How is Breast Asymmetry Corrected?
Breast asymmetry can be corrected by either making the large breast smaller, or the smaller breast larger. Often the patient has a preference as to which breast they prefer and Dr. Chacon tailors the operation to match that breast. A small breast can be made larger with an implant, in either saline or silicone. A larger breast can receive a reduction and a breast lift to match the opposite breast. In addition, the larger breast often has a larger areola, which may also need to be reduced in size to match the opposite side.
Breast Asymmetry Surgery Recovery
The recovery is usually about 1 week. If the patient has an implant under the muscle, she may need up to 2 weeks to recover. All of our patients wear a sports bra for support 24/7 for the first 2 weeks. They wear paper tape for 3 months to promote a fine scar. They can shower the day after surgery. No heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for 2 weeks. Discomfort is usually easily controlled with muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medication, and pain relievers, if necessary.
Schedule Your Breast Explant Consultation
If you are interested in a breast enlargement with a lift or have any additional questions about the procedure you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Chacon or call Divino Plastic Surgery today at 858-633-7546!
The DIVINO Difference
- Dr. Chacon specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast, and body.
- Dr. Chacon completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training specializing in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dr. Chacon has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacon as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacon has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety, presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacon is a Continuing Medical Education Course Instructor in advanced surgical techniques.
- Dr. Chacon has coauthored and presented clinical studies on the Safety of Combined Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacon’s Professional Resume