Are You Considering a Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy?
Posted on June 27, 2014 by Dr. Carlos Chacon - Tummy Tuck
There’s no denying the fact that pregnancy and childbirth will certainly change your life. In fact, most women will almost always agree that having a baby is one of the most wonderful moments in their lives. However, we often receive visits from women here at our San Diego plastic surgery practice about how diet and exercise do not seem to do anything to their sagging abdominal skin and weakened abdominal muscles.
The Post-Pregnancy Tummy Tuck
Women who just go through pregnancy and childbirth, whether via normal delivery or Cesarean section, will most likely find that the skin around their abdomen, flanks, waist, and hips have lost elasticity and tend to retain significant pockets of fat (liposuction may be done in conjunction with a tummy tuck to remove them).
Before you make the decision to have a tummy tuck following childbirth, you might want to ask yourself the following:
- Is your weight already stable? Your desired outcomes will most likely be achieved if your weight is stable for the past 6 months.
- Do you still have plans of having another pregnancy? It may be best for you to wait until you’re done giving birth as another pregnancy may result to separation of the abdominal muscles.
- Are you done breastfeeding? The enlarged ducts alongside an increased blood vessel activity during breastfeeding can possibly increase your risk of infection and bleeding post-surgery. It may be best to wait for at least 3 months or so after you’re done breastfeeding before having a tummy tuck.
- Are you generally in good health?
- Do you have realistic expectations of the procedure?
Let us help you deal with your post-pregnancy belly blues! We encourage you to get in touch with us for a personal consultation today by calling 858-633-7546 or by filling out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!