What are pigmented lesions?
Pigmented lesions are discolorations in the skin that could appear in the form of birthmarks, age spots, and brown spots. These discolorations are due to high melanin concentration in the skin. Melanin is the substance in our bodies that is responsible for giving color to our skin.
Why consider treatment for pigmented lesions?
You may consider having your pigmented lesions treated if you are bothered by their appearance. The most commonly treated ones are freckles, café au lait birthmarks, and sun spots. These conditions usually result from congenital factors and exposure to sunlight.
What should you expect from the treatment of pigmented lesions?
Pigmented lesions may be treated using laser pulses. During the procedure, most of our patients report a mild stinging sensation as laser pulses are delivered. However, the cold tip of the hand piece used during the treatment helps in the soothing of the skin and alleviating discomfort as laser is being delivered.
The treatment usually takes 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the area the patient wishes to be treated. Laser as treatment for pigmented lesions has been proven safe and effective. With just one treatment, many patients already notice their skin surface to appear lighter. However, additional sessions may be recommended to achieve maximum results.
What about recovery?
Patients who have undergone treatment must avoid sun exposure for about a month or so following treatment. If necessary, apply sunscreen with an SPF 30 to your skin before going outdoors. It is normal for the skin to become darker immediately after treatment. Crusting of the lesion is also expected, but this usually diminishes one to two weeks after treatment.
Click here to request a consultation with Dr. Chacon at Divino Plastic Surgery today or call us at 858-633-7546.
- Dr. Chacon specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast, and body.
- Dr. Chacon completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training specializing in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dr. Chacon has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacon as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacon has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety, presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacon is a Continuing Medical Education Course Instructor in advanced surgical techniques.
- Dr. Chacon has coauthored and presented clinical studies on the Safety of Combined Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacon’s Professional Resume