One of the most common mistakes of dermatologists and skin care specialists is treating male skin problems similar to that of women’s. They often fail to recognize that the male skin works differently and is unique on its own. At Divino Plastic Surgery, our San Diego male skin care treatment plan begins with understanding the physiology of men’s skin and listening to what the male client has to say about his skin care needs.
Testosterone is a hormone produced by both males and females. However, adult males tend to produce testosterone 10 times more than females. The thick facial skin in men is attributed to an abundance of testosterone. The thickness itself acts as a protective barrier from the damaging UV rays. The thickness and pigment of men’s hair (also influenced my testosterone levels) also help protect the skin.
Testosterone and Acne Development
While testosterone is crucial to the development of manhood features such as facial hair and a deeper voice, the hormone is also responsible in increasing oil secretion in men, particularly in the face. With increased oil production, acne is more likely to happen when mixed with dirt and sweat.
Male Skin Care Tips
1. Cleanse your face regularly. While this tip is a no-brainer for women, men tend to skip this part.
2. Keep your skin moist and warm before shaving. This will open up the pores which will facilitate easy removal of hairs.
3. Choose the right razor. Choose razors in which you are comfortable the most.
4. Nourish your skin from the inside. Choose whole foods rather than processed ones.
5. Protect your skin from UV rays by using sunblock.
Divino Skin Care for Men
You can also create a more youthful appearance using Botox® and Injectable Filler. Frown lines and brow furrows can give the permanent appearance of anger or confusion, and Botox® is a great way to remove those forehead wrinkles.
For men, taking care of your body and face does not only mean working out, it also means taking care of your skin. You can schedule your appointment today by contacting us at (858) 633-7546 or simply fill out this contact form. Our team looks forward to your visit!