Our San Diego Plastic Surgeon Reveals the Hottest Summer Skin Care Tip
Posted on July 4, 2017 by Dr. Carlos Chacon - Skin Care
Achieving radiant skin isn’t as complicated as beauty magazines would like you to think. It isn’t necessary to follow a complex 10-step process or invest in an expensive product regimen to enjoy clear, healthy skin. Smart skin care is simple and inexpensive when you trust the expertise of doctors like Carlos O. Chacon of Divino Plastic Surgery in San Diego. Here, Dr. Chacon shares his hottest tips for radiant skin this summer.
Protect Your Skin from the Sun
The absolute best thing you can do for healthy, beautiful skin is protect it from the sun. The sun gives off ultraviolet rays that permanently damage the genetic structures of the cells. This prematurely ages the skin, robs it of its healthy glow and leads to skin cancer, which is the most common cancer in the country.
Sun protection is incredibly important in areas like Southern California, where we spend so much time outdoors enjoying the warm weather. Apply broad-spectrum sunscreen, which protects from both UV-A and UV-B rays, with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher to your entire body. Don’t forget commonly neglected areas like the scalp, tops of the ears, feet and lips. You can find special lip balms formulated with SPF. Re-apply sunscreen often when spending extended amounts of time outdoors, even in cloudy weather. At Divino Plastic Surgery and Spa we offer a number of broad-spectrum sunscreens to choose from. Call 858-633-7546 and speak to any of our skin care experts to find the right one for you.
Additional Sun Protection Tips
- Seek out shade whenever possible.
- Avoid direct exposure to the sunlight between the hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Wear protective clothing and accessories (i.e., wide-brimmed hat, wraparound sunglasses).
- Avoid tanning beds or sun lamps, which emit artificial UV radiation.
- To enjoy tanned skin, book a spray tan or use self-tanner creams or lotions.
- Perform regular skin checks for signs of skin cancer.
- Make an appointment with a dermatologist if you notice suspicious growths or lesions.
- Monitor existing growths and lesions and see a dermatologist if you notice any changes in size, shape or color.
Treating Past Sun Damage
Dr. Chacon and our team understand that you may not have been as diligent about sun protection in the past, and you may have existing areas of sun damage. If you are self-conscious about sun spots, wrinkles or areas of hyperpigmentation, we offer a wide range of procedures to minimize these problems while rejuvenating and pampering the skin.
Schedule an informational consultation with our team to explore your options and select the best fit for your particular skin care needs. Call 858-633-7546 or request a consultation online today!