Dermaplaning, also known as ‘manual exfoliation’ of the skin, involves manual effort, not chemicals to exfoliate the skin. Dr. Chacon uses Dermaplaning, also known as blading, or leveling the skin to help instantly remove rough, dead or damaged skin leaving behind supple, smooth skin.
The treatment is only performed on a patient’s face and can be performed in conjunction with another cosmetic procedure, such as a chemical peel. Dermaplaning is safe and effective for all skin types and complexions, however if your skin is currently broken out or you have open sores it is best to wait until the skin is completely healed before undergoing the procedure.
What is Dermaplaning?
The results of Dermaplaning is like getting a very close shave. It is a precise, elegant and highly effective superficial exfoliation, relying on the simplest of tools but the most artful of skill to deeply scrape and exfoliate away the top layers of inert skin. “Planing” as it is commonly referred to yields the highest dividends in skin toning, clarifying and re-texturizing and is ideally suited for all ages and skin types.
Dermaplaning also removes hair from the treated areas leaving behind a smooth, beautiful face free from potentially embarrassing and unwanted hair. Dermaplaning does not remove the root of facial hair, but instead removes the hair that sits above the epidermis. Dermaplaning is designed to work effectively with the vellus hairs found on your face and prevents hair from appearing thicker or darker as it grows back in.
How Does Dermaplaning Work?
Dermaplaning can remove up to 2 to 3 weeks’ worth of rough, dead skin and buildup, and can be performed every 3 to 4 weeks. Dermaplaning uses a specifically developed blade, known as a dermatome blade. This blade has a rotating head and is oftentimes compared to an electric razor as it relies on this continual, fast movement to safely remove layers of dead skin. This blade is held at a 45 degree angle to the skin while your technician gently moves the blade along the surface of your face and manipulates the skin with their hands. Depending upon the severity and depth at which dead and unwanted skin sits on the face, the length of your treatment may range from several minutes to an hour. Deeper lines, and more severe buildup of dead skin require more layers of skin to be removed.
Dermaplaning can be performed on small, precise areas of the skin or can be applied to larger regions, including the entire face. Dermaplaning can also be performed in addition to other skin treatments, such as chemical peels or cortisone injections. This treatment also encourages the growth of new, healthy skin cells and can have a positive impact on the skin cell lifecycle. Dermaplaning is a highly effective way to resurface the skin and is a highly effective method for leveling out uneven surfaces on the face. Dermaplaning is gentle and does not break the capillaries on the face, which more aggressive exfoliators may do. This prevents skin discoloration or scarring. Since Dermaplaning does not involve the application of chemicals it is a great alternative for individuals who have sensitive skin and cannot undergo chemical peels or other chemically based treatments. Dermaplaning is a non-surgical procedure and requires no recovery time nor does it produce any visible side effects.
The DIVINO Difference
- Dr. Chacon specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast, and body.
- Dr. Chacon completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training specializing in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dr. Chacon has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacon as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacon has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety, presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacon is a Continuing Medical Education Course Instructor in advanced surgical techniques.
- Dr. Chacon has coauthored and presented clinical studies on the Safety of Combined Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacon’s Professional Resume