Skin cancer, the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells (cancer cells) in the tissue of the skin, is the most common form of cancer in the United States, and can occur anywhere on the body. The skin has several layers; the two main layers are the epidermis (upper or outer layer) and the dermis (lower or inner layer). Skin cancer begins in the epidermis.
There are different types of skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma is the most common, Squamous cell carcinoma found in the middle layer of the epidermis and Melanoma is less common, but more dangerous. If left unchecked, these cancer cells can spread from the skin into other tissues and organs.
What Causes Skin Cancer?
The exact cause of skin cancer is not known, but we do know that certain risk factors are connected to the disease. Too much exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the main threat for skin cancer, in addition to some physical characteristics increase the risk of developing skin cancer, including having light skin that burns and freckles easily and having naturally red or blond hair.
Skin Cancer Symptoms
Anything suspicious should be looked at by a physician. Skin cancers may have many different appearances. They can be small, shiny, waxy, scaly and rough, firm and red, crusty or bleeding, or have other features.
Skin Cancer Treatment
Early and accurate diagnosis is key to successful treatment of melanoma and other skin cancers. Treatment for skin cancer varies depending on the size, type, depth and location of the lesions. At Divino Plastic Surgery we use the most precise and advanced technology and techniques – many of them pioneered here.
The DIVINO Difference
- Dr. Chacon specializes in cosmetic procedures of the face, nose, breast, and body.
- Dr. Chacon completed thousands of procedures in advanced fellowship training specializing in cosmetic surgery endorsed by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon served as an Aesthetic Surgery Clinical Instructor for the University of Southern California Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in Los Angeles, CA.
- Dr. Chacon has a keen eye for aesthetic artistry; his peers and patients recognize Dr. Chacon as the plastic surgeon that delivers desired results.
- Dr. Chacon has contributed to multiple, large clinical studies on a number of procedures and safety, presenting in statewide and national meetings.
- Dr. Chacon is a Continuing Medical Education Course Instructor in advanced surgical techniques.
- Dr. Chacon has coauthored and presented clinical studies on the Safety of Combined Surgery.
- Dr. Chacon’s Experience and Philosophy
- Dr. Chacon’s Professional Resume